Trinity Centre, Trinity Rd, Bristol BS2 0NW
Our launch event took place on June 11th 2016 at Trinity Community Arts centre. It was an informative, creative mix of talks by activists, academics and wonderful Bristolians. We also had self generated workshops, spoken word performers,live music, artwork and delicious food.
We chose Challenging Islamophobia for our first event in response to the rise in Islamophobic attacks and narrative, continued unfair negative media representation of Muslims, the inhumane treatment of refugees and the PREVENT programme.
All of the speakers were people who had inspired Lisa with their passion and commitment.
- Tariq Modood (Bristol Univerity)
- Hassan Mahamdallie (Writer, playwright and Director of the Muslim Institute)
- Rizwan Ahmed (Bristol Muslim Cultural Society),
- Sifu ….. SARI (Stand Against Racism and Inequality)
- Maz Saleem (Anti - racism campaigner)
- Weyman Bennet (Stand Up To Racism )
- Jeremy Clarke (Stop the War )
Spoken word performances by Deasy Bamford and Nell Jones.
Food and refreshments were provided by Bristol Hospitality Network
Jose Barco from Community Colab ran the afternoon workshops facilitated by the agenda which was created by everyone in the morning.This gave us the unique opportunity to explore creative ways of challenging Islamophobia whilst connecting participants and organisations. The aim was to create space for potential collaboration in existing or future projects or give people the chance to talk to the speakers.